1215 is the number of the Hunslett loco I have become involved with.
Each week, Mike Lynskey produces a photo newsletter, here are two very recent ones.
if he is away, I produce one,
#88 is one of mine:
As is I, Strain #89
Todays jobs…. drilling and tapping, to produce open and closed ‘stops’ for the sandbox lever
And determining the position for the vacuum brake distribution valve, which, when all connected, the two wood supports will be replaced by a novel perspex floorboard, to be used as a template for where to drill the mounting bolts in the real floorboard, if you see what I mean!
Today’s job…… you get a piece of steel plate, cut it down, mark it, drill it, file it, clamp it to the cab front, then drill through it to make holes in the cab, then bolt it in place. This reinforces the slot in the cab front where the sandbox operationg leverNext weeks job, to cut grooves in the bottom of the lever to mark ‘open’ and ‘closed’ positions.
Todays job was to drill the holes to fix……….. erm something to do with a steam pipe in the smokebox. The newsletter above shows an unposed pic of me with a massive drill.
I produced this week’s photonewsletter…. normally called “Eye Strain”….. Issue 71 Ice train by Richard Smith
My latest ‘jobette’ was to form new brackets to mount the brake air cylinder to the underside of the cab…
Still a bit of work to be done, trimming the ends, drilling holes for the securing bolts… maybe even a splash of paint.
We had to lay the temporary track today, so we could wheel the engine out of the workshop, remove the boiler, and push it back in again.
The volunteers have been given limited edition copies of a rather nice painting…
Mike Lynksey sends out a regular newsletter, ‘Eyestrain’. He has had a couple of weeks away, so I have put a couple of …. erm…. newsletters… together! Here they are!
and the latest from today, 15th Nov….snappers gazette
This link shows a typical day…A day in the workshop…..
My job today, apart from taking photos, was angle grinding the top of the new front panel so it fits snug to the cab roof
Here we are on tv!
This was recorded recently, Workshop X features about halfway through!
later… The story, but first, my latest “jobettes”.
The thing here to note, is that the newest info is just here, and the lower down you scroll, the longer ago the jobs were done. Sort of upside down.
I have been working on the ashpan, a heavy steel construction, cutting the steel plate to size to make the doors, and drilling the hinge/pivot system…
The smokebox door needs the plate fixing to the inside. This plate prevents hot ash ruining the paintwork, and other things I don’t understand! We are using countersunk headed bolts, so I needed to countersink the holes, so that when they are bolted tight, we can smooth them down to ‘hide’them.
The door has now been finished… heads flap disced smooth, filled and painted
The next job was to remove the vacuum brake bracket which I reckon was upside down. This done, it looks so much better.
I am now working on the ashpan, which I have been doing a few ‘jobettes’ I have filed out the slots for the firebars to sit in/on/locate. Then, the doors at each end will need to be cut to size, drilled, pivots fitted… then the whole unit (very heavy!) will be fixed to the underside of the boiler before the whole big lump is installed.
Painting the maker’s plates, first by priming, then top coat, then polishing away the paint on the surface of the lettering, finally varnishing:
painting the balance pipe:
And now, the history of the loco, and more jobettes follow…..
It has has a chequered career, starting life in 1916, built to supply the troops in the trenches on the front line in France during WW1. After the war, it found its way to Australia, where it worked in the sugar cane fields, later a sugar refinery until it was replaced by a diesel loco. 1215 was then taken to a children’s home, where it took the kids on lots of imaginary journeys… until the home was closed. It was bought by a chap who started to restore it, and now, it has been brought back to England under new ownership to have the restoration completed. This is where I came in…. the loco is in a nearby workshop, and now, January 2015 , the chassis/frame has been renovated and painted, the wheels are about to return having been re-axelled and re-tyred, the boiler isn’t too far behind, and it is gradually taking shape.
my role at present is to clean, paint and mend! I have been working on the sandbox, which will be just in front of the cab. the shaft and paddles were seized, I have freed them and stripped the unit, now shotblasted and red-oxided. the lugs that hold the down pipes need building up, new paddles need to be made, and part of the casting that the paddle shaft goes through needs re-attaching.. enough words, here are some more pictures.
This is the control lever for the sandbox…
the left hand side should have a hole in it
for more info, please look here:
http://www.warofficehunslet.org.uk/ or here , where 1215 will be operating when we have finished the restoration. http://www.apedale.co.uk/